6th Vice Chancellor
Dr. K. Meer Mustafa Hussain, M.D.(Paed), D.C.H., Ph.D. (Neonatology), F.R.C.P.(Glasg.)
6th Vice-Chancellor of TNMGRMU
|Name||Dr. K. Meer Mustafa Hussain, M.D.(Paed), D.C.H., Ph.D. (Neonatology), F.R.C.P.(Glasg.)|
|Date of Birth||5th Jan 1950|
|Address||No. 5 Yemi Street,
Chennai – 600 007.
|Qualifications||M.D. (Ped.), D.C.H., Ph.D. (Neonatology), F.R.C.P. (Glasgow),|
|Position||6th Vice-Chancellor The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University|
|Period||from 27.11.2006 to 26.11.2009|
Year of Passing
- 1974-MBBS (Madurai Medical College)
- 1983-DCH (Tirunelveli Medical College)
- 1986-MD (Paediatrics) (Madras Medical College)
- 2002-Ph.D.The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University
Year of Conferment
- 14th November 2007 - F.R.C.P. by the University of Glasgow Dr. B.C.Roy Award in the category of "Eminent Medical Teacher" for 2007
- Active Paediatrician Award by the Indian Academy of Paediatrics – Tamil nadu State Chapter.
- Awarded Ph.D. Degree by the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai for the thesis "Group B Beta Hemolytic Steptococcus Infection in New Born".
- First prize award winner on the subjects "(1) Arterio Venous Communications and(2) Postural Mechanisms in Human beings for two years subsequently from Anatomists Association of Tamil nadu.
- Conferred with FRCP by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeon, University of Glasgow, U.K
- Conferred with the “Life Time Achievement Award” by the Scientific Committee of WHO Collaborating Centre in India for Research, Education and Training in Diabetes (jointly with the M.V.Hospital for Diabetes) in the field of Medical Education.
- Conferred with the prestigious “Dr.B.C.Roy National Award” by the Medical Council of India for the year 2007, considering his dedicated contribution as 'Eminent Medical Teacher'
- Addl. Professor of Paediatrics / Neonatologist H.O.D. Division of Neonatology and Child Development Clinic Institute of Child Health & Hospital for Children, Egmore, Chennai – 600 008.
Membership in Indian Academy of Paediatrics
- Active Life Member of IAP from 1982
- Life Member, National Neonatology Forum
- Life Member Ped, Pulmonology chapter of IAP.
- Life Member Ped. Gastro – Enterology Chapter of IAP.
- Life Member Breast Feeding Network of India (BPNI)
- Member, Ped Haematology – Oncology Chapter of IAP
- Submitted recommendation to the Government of Tamil nadu to include Heptatitis – B Immunization in the regular vaccine schedule for all children.
- Resource person in ‘Council of Child Welfare’, Shenoy Nagar, Chennai and gave Lectures to VHNs attending at that center at regular intervals.
- Co-ordinated Intensified National Pulse Polio Immunization Campaign, till date.
- Member, INDIACLEN (A Research Organisation)
- Member, State supervisory Board on Prohibition of Sex Selection, Govt. of Tamil nadu.
- Life member Indian Medical Association Chennai.
- Life member, ICH and HC Alumni Association
- Member American Academy of Paediatrics
- Recipient of Active IAP Member award.
- Life member, IAP Disaster Management Group.
- Life member, IAP-Ped. Derm Group.
Services to Paediatric Fraternity
- Served as President, Tamil nadu Chapter of Indian Academy of Pediatrics - 2005
- Tamil nadu Hon. State Secretary of IAP – (2years) 1989 – 1999.
- Served as Treasurer, Tamil nadu Chapter of IAP for 4 years
- Organising Secretary – Chen Pedicon 1999 – Tamil nadu State IAP Conference held at Hotel Savera, at Chennai.
- Chairman, Banquet and cultural Committee for Pedicon 2004 – National Conference at Chennai.
- Organising secretary for the celebration of “World Breast Feeding Week” at Institute of Child Health & Hospital for Children, Egmore, Chennai – 600 008, in the year 1994, 1995 and in 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003, 2004 & 2005.
- Resource person for Lactation management workshop and contributed article in Tamil regarding the Problems and its Solutions for lactation failure mothers.
- Joint Organising Secretary for
- Midterm conference of IAP at Tirunelveli conducted as early as in 1982.
- Seven Tamil nadu State Chapter IAP Conference.
- South Zone Conferences – Two
- National Pediatric Conference held at Adyar Park Hotel Chennai.
- Attended workshop on Pediatric HIV – growing challenge at Chennai.
- Resource person for IEC (Interventional Education Communication).
- Resource person for RCH Programme for Medical Officers and Staff Nurses.
- Resource person for Parental Education Cell.
- Organized Mega Pediatric Health Camp at Valluvarkottam, during August 2005.
- Joint Coordinator – IAP Tamil nadu State Immunization Cell.
- Organiser – Hepatitis B Vaccination Mass Camps for Children on a Competitive price through Chennai city Pediatricians in their clinics.
- Organised various CME Programmes and raised adequate funds for IAP – TNSC during my tenure as Office Bearer.Conducted our-reach programme and in Hill stations (JAVAPU HILLS) for Tribal Poor Children.
- Conducted National Neonatology Forum – Quiz Programmes at District and divisional levels for Post Graduates.
- Zonal Coordinator for IAP – under graduate National Quiz program.
- Now functioning as Nodal Officer for Integrated Skilled Training for Staff Nurses in Essential New Born Care under RCH Programmes (Reproductive and Child Health).
- Facilitator in IMNCI (Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illnesses) Programme sponsored by UNICEF.
- Coordinator for Regional Workshop on Practical Pediatric Nutrition by IAP-TNSC and Nutrition Society of Indian, Chennai Chapter on 12.12.1999.
- Conducted first CME Programme on Pediatric Neurosciences on 24 & 25 – January 1998 at Childs Trust Hospital under the IAP – TNSC Banner.
- On 21.03.1998 at Hotel Savera organized a CME Programme on ‘Pediatric Dermatology’ with the Co-ordination of the Renowned Dermatologists.
- Submitted Project Summary for conducting Satellite Workshops on Pediatric AIDS Control at all District level to the AIDS Control Society of Tamil nadu.
- Life Associate representing IAP – TNSC and participating in various activities of TN – FORCES (Forum for Creche and Child Care Services in Tamil nadu) based in Loyola College, Chennai.
Scientific / Research Activities
- Awarded Ph.D., Degree by the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai for “Group – B Beta Hemolytic Streptococcus Infection in New Born”.
- First Prize Award Winner for subsequent Two Years from Anatomists Association of Tamil nadu on the subjects.
- Arterio – Venous Communications.
- Postural Mechanisms in Human beings.
- Presented Scientific Papers in State and National Conferences of IAP.
- Contributed articles in the book on
- “Pediatric Nutrition”
- “Management of Common Pediatric Problems” – Update
- Published articles in “Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics”.
- Performed Research work on the pattern of Neonatal Sepsis in out Born Nursery.
- Scientific papers of credit
- Pattern of Dermatological manifestation in newborns.
- Pattern of Neonatal Sepsis of ICH and HC, Egmore, Chennai.
- Effect of Maternal Nutrition Status who had delivered LBW Babies.
- Perspectives of Nutritional status of Pre- School children with supplementation of diet and vitamin A solution.
- Rapid Diagnosis of Pyogenic meningitis in Children by Co-agglutination Technique.
- Management of Lactation Failure.
- Obstructive Uropathies in Neonates - An Antenatal Ultrasonogram study.
- Article on ‘ Hyper insulinemic hypoglycemic infant’ published in IJPP.
- Comparison of Maternal Nutrition Status in Mothers Who had delivered low Birth Weight Babies versus Mothers who had Delivered Normal Birth Weight babies in a Tertiary Referral center.
- PG Teaching – 20 Years
- UG Teaching – 26 Years
- EXAMINER for Final MBBS Students and for Paediatrics Post Graduate in various Govt. Medical Colleges of Tamil nadu and neighbouring States.
- At present functioning as Vigilance Officer for Institute of Child Health and Hospital for Children, Egmore, Chennai.
- Senior Warden – for Post-Graduate Hostel for men at Institute of Child Health and Hospital for Children, Egmore, Chennai – 8.
- Member – State Supervisor Board – Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection).
Highlights of Tamilnadu Medical Service
- Joined Service in 1976.
- Medical Officer in-charge in the following PHCs.
- Govt/PHCs : Kandamanur,Andipatti Block
- Veerapandi, Theni Block
- Dombucheri, Bodinayakkanur
- Reddiar Patti, Tirunelveli Dist.
- Vasudevanallur, Tirunelveli Dist.
- As Tutor in Anatomy, Biochemistry and Medicine – Tirunelveli Medical College.
- As Casualty Medical Officer – Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital.
- As Casualty Medical Officer – KMC Hospital, Chennai.
- Asst. Prof. of Pediatrics & Medical Registrar – in ICH & HC, Egmore, Chennai.
- ICDS – Medical Officer – Chennai.
- HOD / UNIT – CHIEF, Division of Neonatology & Child Development Clinic of Institute of Child Health & Hospital for Children, Egmore, Chennai.
- Former member Executive Committee Editorial Board of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics.
Tamilnadu Government Doctors Associations Activities
- Secretary Tirunelveli District during 1982.
- Vice – President (State Rep), TNGDA, for two terms at Chennai.
Indian Medical Association
- Life Member, Chennai
- Delivered Lectures on Various IMA Forum for Practitioners at Chennai.
- Served in ARMY MEDICAL CORPS in 454 Medical Battalion at Hyderabad.
Other Contributions to the Child Health Awareness
- Interview was given on various Child Health Problems in Major Private T.V. Channels and Chennai Doordarshan on different Occasions.
- Number of Books on Child Health & Breast Feeding in Tamil. "Preservation of Welfare of the Children"
- "Safe Motherhood"
- "Preserve the Welfare of the Children's Skin"
- "DEW" - "Composition of New Poems"
- "Mother's Milk - A Unique Feeding"
- "Welfare of children - A Note"
- Published in the Government of Tamilnadu monthly magazine "Muttram"
- Working Committee Member - All India Tamil Writers' Association
City Paediatric Forum
- Editor of City Pediatric Forum - Chennai.